Producing threads in hardened steel is costly. This applies to blind hole machining in particular because reversing the tap during this process can cause torque peaks when the root of the chip is sheared off, resulting in fractures.
Walter is solving this problem with two new taps – offering its customers a full product range for producing threads in hardened steels with an additional thread milling cutter: The TC388 Supreme (50–58 HRC) or TC389 Supreme (55–65 HRC) and the TC685 Supreme (> 44 HRC). The TC388 and TC389 Supreme solid carbide taps boast special cutting geometries. These fully shear off the root of the chip when reversing; torque peaks are minimised. This prevents fractures, prolongs the tool life and increases process reliability. Lubrication with oil, which was often necessary until now, is no longer required. Instead, emulsion can be used, which optimises handling and saves additional machining time. Both taps are characterised by a short machining time.
The TC685 Supreme orbital drill thread milling cutter enables maximum process reliability and the highest possible tool life quantity. The core hole and thread (chamfer if required) are produced in a single operation, thereby saving tool spaces. The milling geometry on the face produces stabilising forces in the axial direction. This improves the stability when milling and reduces the deflection. Advantages for the user: Fewer radius corrections and reduced wear, with a high tool life quantity and minimal costs per thread. The 15° helix angle and internal coolant from M6 guarantee reliable chip evacuation. This allows even tougher steels and deep threads to be machined reliably. Common applications for all the tools mentioned include mould and die making, for example.
CHECK OUT THESE OTHER ARTICLES
● Threading With Maximum Productivity And Process Reliability
● Tungaloy: TungForce Rec End Mills
● A Fresh New Coat For Inserts
● Walter’s HU5 Geometry Enhances Capabilities Of Cutting Machines
● HEIDENHAIN Presents Controls And Measuring Technology For Efficient Production
● Walter Expands Perform Product Range With New Milling Cutters With Corner Radius
● Tungaloy Collet Chuck Sleeve Strengthens ID Turning Capability For Small Diameters
● Sandvik Coromant Releases New Insert Geometries for CoroMill 331
● Tungaloy Introduces Full Profile Threading Inserts With Four Cutting Edges
● Haimer: Safe-Lock
WANT MORE INSIDER NEWS? SUBSCRIBE TO OUR DIGITAL MAGAZINE NOW!